Art is a big deal in our house. We have a resident artist, Vivian, who dedicates every waking moment to celebrating art. Our son Daniel is also an artist and a gifted musician. In our home we frequently take breaks for art and music if the muse strikes. One of the perks of homeschooling is we can spend as much time as we want studying art, exploring our God-given talents, and growing in our gifts.
It can be difficult to find an art curriculum that teaches techniques and builds skills, honors our faith in God, and is low-cost. We’ve tried several different books, DVDs, private tutors, and more. We were very happy to discover See The Light.
I first became aware of See The Light through our Twitter account. Pat Holt visited our blog and left a wonderful, uplifting comment regarding my testimony. She asked if we would like to partner with See The Light for a review/giveaway. We love giveaways here! I was even more thrilled to partner with a Christian company producing DVDs that teach our favorite subject.
See The Light offer 3 different product lines: Art Class, Art Projects, and Bible Stories.
Art Class brings an art teacher right into your home. The DVDs feature master artist Pat Knepley. Pat has a teaching credential, a degree in art education and currently teaches art in Los Angeles. Each lesson teaches kids fundamental art skills progressing to more advanced topics and techniques.
Art Projects focus on the works of famous artists like Louis Comfort Tiffany, Wayne Thiebaud, Edgar Degas, and more. Each DVD features 4 separate lessons ending with a final project produced by the student.
Bible Stories allow children to see the artist draw the Bible story while they hear the dramatic telling of the story. Then children can draw step-by-step lessons related to the Bible which allows them to share the art and the story with others.
Art lessons are critical for a well-rounded education. When students are encouraged to think artistically they become creative problem-solvers and critical thinkers.
Benefits of Arts Education
Source: Americans for the Arts, 2002
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
As Christians we want everything we do to honor The Lord. “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” – Colossians 3:23
See The Light art curriculum is a perfect way to provide enriching art lessons for your students while celebrating God and learning about Him as a family.